Ube Cookies

Ube Cookies Ube Cookies



This cookies are amazingly soft and goey with the hint of ube. This was a huge hit in out house. Our Christmas is not complete without an ube.

When I was a kid me and my brothers are always looking forward for our Nanay’s ube halaya on Christmas season. We don't care about any other food as long as there is ube we are all happy. I remember the days that my Tatay had to plant our own ube plant because during Christmas its hard to find it, or they a bit pricey.

Few days ago I received a message from a friend that they are organizing our Christmas party get together. I haven't seen them for ages so I am so excited. And she also told us to bring something to eat. So from that day on I keep thinking what should I bring? So I decided to go with something that is easy to make but everyone will love. At first I was thinking of to make some crinkles every Filipino knows crinkles but since I haven't seen them for a while I they might change their diet like crinkles is loaded with powdered sugar.

One day I came home dreaming of ube halaya. I went to the Asian shop but they where run out it. Instead I got the grated purple yum. I made my own ube halaya and I am able to do it the way I wanted it, not too sweet.

The deep rich purple color of ube is simply amazing! I like the crusty cookies on the outside and soft and gooey inside with the  hint of ube that melts in your mouth. Even if you think you dont like ube, you will not mind it in these cookie. For Real! My boyfriend had gone crazy and tell me this is one of his favourite.

Here is the recipe for you to try.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup  all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg
3 tbsp ube extract
1/4 cup ube halaya
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white chocolate
1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
2 drops of purple food coloring (if you want the color to be vibrant

Procedure:

1. In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and corn flour and set it aside.

2. Using stand mixer or an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar (brown and white sugar) together until light and fluffy. Beat the egg. Add the ube extract and the ube jam, beat for a few minutes until well combined. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beat for few minutes. Fold in the white chocolate chip and the shredded coconut.  Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.

3. Scoop the dough with a 1 1/2 teaspoon ice cream scoop place in a baking tray line with parchment paper. I like to flattened them so I am able to get the same sizes.

4. Bake in the preheated oven at 325 F for 10-12 minutes. It might look under baked but that's okay.

5. Let it cool down for 5 minutes in the baking sheets (I like to put some extra chocolate chips at this point) before transferring in the wire rack to cool down completely.

Enjoy!

Notes:

Ube is also known as a purple yam.
I bought a fresh grated purple yam from an Asian shop and made it into a halaya (jam). You can also buy a bottled ube jam.
Ube extract is also bought in Asian shop.

Check out my other recipe:

Easy Homemade Ube Ice Cream

Check out the recipe for delicious peanut butter cookies

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook